22 Retro Diners That Are Definitely Worth A Road Trip
From coast to coast.
1. Brent’s Drugs in Jackson, Mississippi
“Definitely recommend the chicken salad sandwich and crinkle fries and their homemade lemonade,” says Coral E. via Yelp.
2. The Arcade Restaurant in Memphis, Tennessee
“I took a hot cup of their sweet, sweet pancake gravy and dipped my crispy pork babies in it,” states Travis S.
3. Steel Trolley Diner in Lisbon, Ohio
“But the BROWN GRAVY was something I dream about tonight as I eat elsewhere,” says Jamie L.
4. Bid Daddy’s Diner in New York City
“The cheeseburger is so satisfying, and everything is served with tater tots,” says Jillie B.
5. Al Mac’s Diner in Fall River, Massachusetts
“The lady next to me had chocolate chip pancakes, that she loved,” according to Chris S.
6. Vic’s Ice Cream in Sacramento, California
“The boo swears this place has the best milkshakes. So I gotta give it the test. I will admit it is pretty damn good,” muses Charmaine S.
7. Martindale Chief Diner in Craryville, New York
“Someone in the kitchen really knows how to work a fryer and griddle. Fried cod is *great*, a huge piece of fish lightly battered and cooked perfectly,” says Josh G.
8. City Diner in San Jose, California
According to Irene S.: “I had their Hawaiian burger with turkey and a side of sweet potato fries—yummy!!!!! My boyfriend and I shared a fudge and mint shake. The fudge in the shake was thick with little pieces of fudge ribbon—wowee!!!!”
9. Dean’s Diner in Blairsville, Pennsylvania
“Very impressed with the food—what a great 1930s vibe in here and pies as big as your head,” says Kansas S.
10. Cindy’s Diner in Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Try the ‘Garbage’ for breakfast,” says Rick S.
11. Summit Diner in Summit, New Jersey
“Just the right amount of egg ooze, Taylor ham crisp, and roll toast. A masterpiece,” sings Dom M.
12. Ozzie’s Diner in Commerce, California
“I rank it as tied for second with Sergio’s Tacos (also in Commerce) taking a back seat only to the menudo at El Picante in Bell Gardens,” according to Jason M.
13. Midvale Mining Cafe in Midvale, Utah
“Always order a scone and smother it in honey butter,” says Jean W.
14. 66 Diner in Albuquerque, New Mexico
“I usually order a basket of fried okra and eat the leftovers cold, because cold fried okra from here is delicious,” advises Riley J.
15. Tick Tock Diner in New York City
An ode by Jason R.:
1. They are reasonably priced
2. The food here is pretty good
3. They have a pretty decent sized menu
4. They will charge your phone as I discovered on 11/14…
16. Rae’s Restaurant in Santa Monica, California
“Also, famous for filming a scene from Quentin Tarantino’s great movie, ‘True Romance’, says Eric B.
17. Rod’s Diner in Ann Arbor, Michigan
“COLLIDERS—enough said! Fro yo blizzard treats with any topping you want??,” exclaims (and questions) Blair R.
18. Lexington Candy Shop in New York City
“They are known for their pancakes. But I don’t really like pancakes, so I didn’t order them,” says Rob B.
19. Pink Cadillac Diner in Natural Bridge, Virginia
“This was interesting. I had to check it out simply because I could,” muses Olive O.
20. Mickey’s Diner in St. Paul, Minnesota
“This s*** is so greasy I literally felt my heart and veins quiver,” Pablo D. says.
21. Miss Florence Diner in Northampton, Massachusetts
“They roast their own young turkeys for sandwiches, which I really appreciate,” states JS.
22. Road Island Diner in Oakley, Utah
Bill B. declares: “If you like history and would like to recall eating in a diner during your youthful days, then a stop at the Road Island Diner in Oakley, Utah might just be ‘your thing’.”